Thursday 21 June 2012

Hey BlackBerry, where's my keyboard?

BkackNerry ia geyyinb rid og tge jeyvoard

Well, not completely, they're just going the touchscreen route like everyone else for the time being. A move that could make statements plagued with errors like the one above more common for people with clumsy fingers like me.

It was announced earlier today that Research in Motion (RIM) would use touchscreen keyboard for all models launching the anticipated BlackBerry 10 OS (BB10), debuting later this year. While the company left the door open to adding smartphones with physical keyboards that use BB10 in the future, it means that if I want to stay with BlackBerry and upgrade anytime soon, I better get better at using a touchscreen to type.

The physical QWERTY keyboard was of course the main hardware difference between BlackBerry and other smartphones. Recent troubles at RIM, along with a market share that gets smaller year after year, may mean that company is attempting follow the crowd and in doing so gain more users.

I'm a hybrid BlackBerry user; I have a Bold which I use extensively for work as well as at home. I've had so many Pearl's, Curve's and Bold's that my collection of chargers can satisfy a small office's needs. I also own a PlayBook and appreciated being able to use the physical keyboard when paired with the BlackBerry Bride app to write an email or memo.

Does this announcement mean that I won't be able to do that anymore?  No, not at all. There's still lots of BlackBerry models currently on the market that have the physical keyboard but it's a move like this that makes a faithful BlackBerry consumer like me wonder how much longer they will be my phone of choice.

Either that or I need to get on board with a small touchscreen and just fet uded ti ot.

No comments:

Post a Comment