Thursday 21 June 2012

Ads of the Week

The following are ad campaigns that have caught my eye over the past week.  Some of them may not be new campaigns but they still managed to get my attention.

MiO "Changes"
A fantastic commercial that I look forward to watching.  The detail in the constant changes keeps me on the look out for something different in the background every time it comes on.  The product gets demonstrated and it's use explained in an engaging 30 seconds.


A & W "$1.50 Momma Burger"
This one is at least four years old but I'm happy to see if back on the air.  I loved the manager and his sidekick commercials and am disappointed that A&W now uses those bad retro song videos.  The videos aren't a bad concept, just one that I feel had a short self life.  It worked as a one-off with the, "Take my Breath Away" spot but I cringed when they tried to double up and do it again with a guy singing, "It Takes Two" (I wasn't able to find a link, which is appropriate cause I would do my best to get rid of all traces of it as well).


Toronto Blue Jays "Yukon Blonde - Stairway"
I love this one.  I don't often get songs stuck in my head but this one gets in there and doesn't leave for days. The song is by a band called Yukon Blonde and the song is called Stairway.  Good on the Jays for using a Canadian Indie band in the ad and I think the song works perfectly.  To me, the music along with the video montage summarizes the summer ball park experience.  If only they could make my fingers smell like ketchup and mustard I would swear, even if only for 30 seconds, that I was among the dozens of people at the Rogers Centre for a Jays game (I kid, attendance hasn't been that bad this year). 


Also, the Jays just started airing some pretty good Canada Day promo's on TV.


That's all for now. I'll keep my eye on and post more commercials that catch my eye over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment